Hey there this is Onizuka Chris and I am here to provide you with a look into the life of Florida’s cosplayers and their costumes. I will be interviewing local cosplayers and letting you find out more about them. Every month I will be interviewing a new cosplayer. This time I would like to feature one of Orange Anime’s own staff member. Jillian Husted, also known as “Ixka1kai” on the forums. She will be sharing her experiences as she talks about her cosplay of Larxene from Kingdom Hearts.
1. As a female cosplayer, why did you take an interest in this character and how close does the character resemble your personality?
I would say that Larxene is pretty much the exact opposite of me (except for maybe the b****y part). I wanted a character where I can be what I am not and attempt to have some more confidence. What initially drew me to Larxene in particular was the fact that she wanted to overthrow the ultimate evil to get a greater position of power.
2. What initially drew you to play the game she is from?
3. Did the character’s outfit influence your choice in cosplaying her?
The outfit was given. I mean there is basically 15 cosplays in one Organization XIII coat. I guess my main gripe is that it’s one coat (and gets very hot at cons) so I can’t change it up unless I go by fanart. When it comes to doing other outfits I plan to do a slumber party Larxene for Metro Con if it’s accepted
4. Why do you feel this character is special to the game she is from?
I believe that the character is special from the Kingdom Hearts series because she and Marluxia basically set-up the character line up in the second game of the series and creates a rift in an Organization meant to take down the good guys. It sorta makes her the ultimate evil I guess.
5. Is she your favorite videogame character? If not who is?
I would say she was my third favorite character in the games. I favorites are Riku & Sora. I cosplay Sora, but Larxene is special because she was my first cosplay ever.
6. What drove you to put in the work to make this character’s outfit and how did you go about making it?
I bought my outfit because I’m just getting into cosplay, but I would really like to learn how to sew in order to make the outfits as accurate as possible. I have made improvements in the chain and did get some advice and help on the wig from a fellow cosplayer.
7. What do you personally feel when you are portraying the character and why do you choose to cosplay her?
When I’m portraying her I feel proud. She is a not often cosplayed like the other characters in the series. I choose her because she is not common on the con scene, sometimes people recognize and compliment, and I can get left alone when it comes to photos
8. What are people’s reactions to you when you are in costume?
Most of the time people don’t know who I am. One time I was asked if I was cosplay Roxas. I hate to say it but I laughed at the guy and told him which game to play. The only time I have been recognize is at two of the bigger cons I’ve been to.
9. What was the hardest part about bringing this character to life?
I think the hardest thing about cosplaying as Larxene is the fact that we are pretty much opposites. I try to uphold her personality as best as I can, but sometimes I just can’t help being my shy self. I’ll hopefully pull her off better with my coplay group on Friday at Metro Con 2012!
10. Did you ever get any special recognition for this costume?
When I cosplay as Larxene I don’t often times get recognized by con goers. I have been recognized as other characters like Ciel (Kuroshitsuji) and Sora (Kingdom Hearts II).
11. What character would you like to cosplay next?
The character I would like to cosplay next is Isa from Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. Isa has a little bit more of my personality and the fact that he later becomes Saix.
12. Lastly is there anything you would like to convey to the readers?
I guess what I want to convey to readers to accept any form of cosplay. Although I have yet to learn how to create my own costume and thus cannot compete in anything, but I have noticed a certain competition people have when it comes to cosplay. I was looked down on a little for having bought my costume, but we should get along. I want to learn how to make things and I want other new cosplayers to try the same thing
If you want to contact Jillian you can pm her right here on the OA Forums under her name: Ixka1kai
Stay tuned for next month’s cosplayer interview!